News, Views & Reviews on Domestic Central Heating, Boiler & Renewable Energy


Get Free, No Obligation Boiler Quotes

Baxi gets behind Gas Safety Week

By Katie Anderson on September 6, 2012

Baxi, one of the UK’s leading central heating manufacturers, has urged the public to take notice of Gas Safety Week.

Commencing 10th September 2012, Gas Safety Week aims to educate households on domestic gas safety. Launched by Gas Safe Register in 2011, this year’s awareness week marks the initiative’s second anniversary. Baxi is hoping households take the opportunity to learn more about gas safety next week.

Simon Osborne, who heads Baxi’s product management team, commented: “Gas Safety Week gives us the opportunity to put gas safety at the top of everyone’s priority list.

“Making sure your gas appliances are safe to use could save your life. Alongside Gas Safe Register we want people to understand the real risks unsafe gas work poses and help people to stay gas safe”.

One of the greatest dangers faced by households using gas central heating systems is carbon monoxide poisoning. According to the NHS, carbon monoxide poisoning claims approximately fifty lives in the UK every year. Hundreds more suffer symptoms such as nausea, dizziness, vomiting, lethargy, stomach cramps and breathing difficulties after being exposed to carbon monoxide, which often leaks from poorly serviced boilers and incorrectly installed flue systems.

All gas boilers in the UK should be inspected every year by an engineer who is listed on the Gas Safe Register. Unsafe central heating systems can cause death or serious injury, often by exposing householders to carbon monoxide. In relatively rare cases, poorly serviced systems have been known to explode, causing widespread destruction. Attention should also be paid to other gas appliances, such as gas cookers.

The Chief Executive of Gas Safe Register, Paul Johnston, explained: “Every year, far too many people suffer from preventable gas-related accidents, such as gas leaks, explosions, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.

“In the last year alone, 18 people died and a further 399 were hospitalised [as a result of unsafe gas central heating systems]. With Gas Safety Week we want to encourage the public to only use Gas Safe registered engineers to fit, fix and service their gas appliances”.

Mr Johnston added: “If maintained and installed properly, gas appliances are safe. If neglected, gas appliances can kill”.