Launched in April 2011, Nest is a new Welsh Assembly fuel poverty scheme, which replaces the previous Home Energy Efficiency Scheme (HEES). Nest aims to help reduce the number of households in fuel poverty and make Welsh homes warmer and more fuel-efficient places to live.
What grants are available in Wales?
The Welsh Government is committed to eradicating fuel poverty, as far as is reasonably possible, in all households by 2018.
Nest offers a range of advice through expert partners, as well as a full home energy assessment and home improvements for the most energy inefficient homes, at no cost to the householder.
Who can get a whole house assessment and am I eligible?
A Nest whole house assessment is available to people in Wales who are in receipt of a means tested benefit and living in the hardest-to-heat homes.
You may be eligible for home improvements under the scheme if you own or privately rent your home; you live in a home that is not energy efficient (F or G rated); and you or someone who lives with you receives a means tested benefit, such as:
- Child Tax Credit (money coming in is below £16,105 a year)
- Council Tax Benefit (but not just the reduction for a single person living alone)
- Housing Benefit
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit (money coming in is below £16,105 a year)
- Universal Credit
Nest offers lots of free and impartial help and advice. You can call 0808 808 2244 free from a landline. Nest’s friendly advisors can give advice on:
- Saving energy
- Money management
- Making sure you’re on the best fuel tariff for you
- And whether you are entitled to any benefits to boost your income
Nest can also tell you if you’re eligible to receive home improvements at no cost to you, to help make your home warmer and reduce the cost of your energy bills.
How do I know if my home is not energy efficient?
All homes are rated from A to G for energy efficiency. The most energy efficient homes have an A or B rating. The least energy efficient homes have an F or G rating. To qualify for home improvements at no cost through the Nest scheme your home must have an F or G energy rating.
If you call Nest on 0808 808 2244 an adviser will run through a series of questions to get an idea of how energy efficient your home is and which band it falls into. A home with some or all of these characteristics might have an F or G energy rating:
- No central heating
- A boiler that is at least 15 years old – though some newer boilers can also be inefficient
- A hot water cylinder with no insulation
- Solid or cavity walls with no insulation, or walls built from non-traditional materials
- No loft insulation or not enough insulation (less than 100mm thick)
- Single-glazed windows
- No draught proofing around doors and windows
How do I apply?
You can call Nest on 0808 808 2244 or fill in the call back request form.
Plus, 5 Year British Gas Warranty
Includes a full safety check as well as parts.
Enjoy HomeCare from British Gas