A faulty boiler can be a serious hazard. Any heating system, which runs on wood or fossil fuels such as gas, coal or oil, is at risk of giving off carbon monoxide if it is not serviced regularly or if it becomes faulty.
Carbon monoxide, otherwise known as the silent killer, causes an estimated one death each week in the UK due to lack of maintenance on boilers, central heating systems and flues. The gas can be extremely difficult to detect, as it is tasteless and odourless. If inhaled, it causes breathing difficulties and quickly enters the bloodstream. It takes only a short amount of time for carbon monoxide inhalation to cause coma or even death.
There are several signals to watch out for which can mean your boiler is faulty and at risk of giving off carbon monoxide. These include:
- Flames burning orange or yellow instead of blue.
- Soot or stains on or above fuel burning appliances.
- Wood or coal fires that burn slowly or often go out.
- A difficult to light fire.