Helping UK homeowners save money on their heating

Substandard building work causes carbon monoxide leak


A Hertfordshire couple has criticised housing developer Taylor Wimpey after being exposed to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

Gerald and Doreen Lee bought their new-build home in Winthorpe Gardens, Borehamwood, just five years ago. Regrettably, Taylor Wimpey had neglected to install the correct flue for the central heating> boiler, meaning that carbon monoxide leaked into the property.

During a routine inspection of the property last week, Taylor Wimpey discovered the mistake. Engineers disabled the boiler and ordered new parts to correct the installation error. Unfortunately for Mr and Mrs Lee, who were told they would be without heating and hot water for up to two weeks, the damage might already have been done.

The couple were tested for carbon monoxide poisoning last week and blood tests revealed low levels of the gas in their system.

78-year-old Mr Lee, who suffered a stroke in 2011, explained: “Recently, I have been getting dizzy in the morning and often feel nauseous, but I just attributed it to old age. Now I’ve realised it fits the symptoms of low level carbon monoxide poisoning perfectly – and that’s a very scary thought”.

Mrs Lee, 74, added: “I am constantly scared now. It’s a very dangerous thing to be exposed to, so I am now just terrified”. Mrs Lee went on to remark that she and her husband no longer feel safe in the property. She also criticised Taylor Wimpey for failing to resolve the problem in good time.

According to the Gas Safety Trust, 25 people died from carbon monoxide poisoning in 2010/2011. The number of fatalities caused by exposure to the gas is on the rise, but non-fatal exposures have declined in recent years. Devon, Somerset and Staffordshire are among the most dangerous places in Britain for carbon monoxide exposure.

The Gas Safety Trust also revealed in a report last year that people aged over seventy are up to five times more likely to die as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning than any other age group. The report identified financial constraints as the main cause of carbon monoxide exposure. In Mr and Mrs Lee’s case, however, the problem appears to have been caused by substandard building work. It is not known whether the property had a carbon monoxide alarm fitted.

Post navigation

PREVIOUS POST

The winner of Solar Guide’s latest prize draw has been announced according to a Solar...

Post navigation

NEXT POST

One of Britain's leading energy suppliers has carried out research that suggests more...

British Gas Boiler Offer

0% APR for two years on a new boiler from British Gas. Book an appointment online for a free, no obligation quote.

FREE Boiler Quotes

Get 3 FREE boiler quotes from local trustworthy heating engineers now

British Gas HomeCare Offer

Gift Card worth up to £75 when you buy selected British Gas HomeCare


ad300x250-boilerinstall-blog

British Gas Boiler Offer

1 thought on “Substandard building work causes carbon monoxide leak

  1. No evidence for what you say about non fatal exposure declining in recent years, even on the basis of the Trusts graphs. Such claims are statistically extremely dubious.

    Incidentally was this another case of faulty flue in void?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Name *